Latex or solvent?

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
Newbie Kev

Latex or solvent?

Post by Newbie Kev » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:12 pm

Now I got told that water based inks were not ideal because they can't be used outside. So I thought that I should get a printer that uses solvent inks. But now someone said that I can use latex inks outside and that these are water based!!! Help, I'm totally confused now.

Newbie Kev

Re: Latex or solvent?

Post by Newbie Kev » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Even more confused now. As I am now looking at pigment printers. When you can laminate pigment print why would you need a solvent (or latex) printer. Can someone explain the differences between solvent, latex and pigment. Choosing a printer is difficult!

EricT

Post by EricT » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:57 am

It depends on your intended uses for the machine really.

Pigment or water-based inks are fine you if only intend to print indoor jobs like posters or photographs but if you intend to produce outdoor work you will never be able to compete / make much money as you will be paying for laminate film to make the print waterproof when a solvent printer would in most cases not require this. Solvent inks can also print onto a much wider range of media so you will have greater choice of the jobs you can print - t-shirt transfers, wallpaper...

I looked at Latex printers when I considered upgrading from my VP-540, and it was pretty good, but the media choice was limited and more expensive than what I was using. I also had some concerns about the frequency you needed to change the print heads on account of the curing heat. The lack of a RIP and a built in cutter was also downside as it added to the cost and reduced the functionality.

Hugh Ryckman

Post by Hugh Ryckman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:54 am

I know the latex take ages to warn up ready to use and the heater runs so hot the printer has to constantly move the media back and forth over the bed when its not printing to prevent it from damaging it which also limits the range of materials which can be used. I was also concerned about the running costs if the heaters run so high especially with the rise in energy costs. What I like about the ecosolvent is that they are so versatile. New materials are comming out all the time for new applications and I want to make sure they will work on my printer. Oh and I've fallen in love with integrated print and cut which is only available on Ecosolvent printers.

Newbie Kev

Post by Newbie Kev » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks Hugh, Eric.

I understand this a bit more now. Gone full circle now - started with solvent, then considered others - now back to solvent. Just so I'm clear - is there a difference between Solvent and Ecosolvent?

EricT

Post by EricT » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:22 pm

Solvent inks are usually more aggressive than EcoSolvent and they smell so you will need ventilation / extraction. The solvent inks are also more harsh on the inside of the machines so you will need to waste more ink through cleaning if you are not using the printer on a regular basis.

People will tell you that solvent inks are more duable and they are slightly, but most of the jobs where this would be an advantage (like vehicle wrapping) are going to be laminated anyway so it doesn't really matter! I say, go for the eco-solvent like in a VersaCamm and you can have the best of both worlds!

Newbie Kev

Post by Newbie Kev » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:34 am

Thanks Eric. That's really useful.

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:37 am

Good morning Kev,

Just wondering if you have had any further thoughts about the latex v's eco-solvent printers you have been looking at?

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski

daza87

Post by daza87 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:18 pm

EricT wrote:Solvent inks are usually more aggressive than EcoSolvent and they smell so you will need ventilation / extraction. The solvent inks are also more harsh on the inside of the machines so you will need to waste more ink through cleaning if you are not using the printer on a regular basis.

People will tell you that solvent inks are more duable and they are slightly, but most of the jobs where this would be an advantage (like vehicle wrapping) are going to be laminated anyway so it doesn't really matter! I say, go for the eco-solvent like in a VersaCamm and you can have the best of both worlds!
I agree, I go for the evo-solvents too.