Colour matching advice

Post questions, share ideas and techniques related to sign-making and graphics production

Colour matching advice

Postby ScotGold » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:48 am

Printer - VersaCamm SP-300V
Media - Varied vinyls, both mat and gloss
Ink - Colorific Elite
Software - CorelDraw X15
RIP - Versaworks
Application - Domed emblems

Over the last few years we've wasted vast amounts of time and materials in the (often futile) process of colour matching.
Entering a Pantone colour for fill or outline looks one colour on the screen and prints a completely different colour.
CorelDraw can output in RGB or CMYK and also 'spot'
VersaWorks has a large number of media 'profiles' to choose from, print quality, colour management options etc.
To make matters worse, there is further colour attenuation when we apply doming resin - although this is a problem for us to deal with.

We've lost several clients and contracts due to this problem and need to get it sorted.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
ScotGold

Re: Colour matching advice

Postby Tom King » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:35 am

Hi Chris,

I strongly reccomend using the Roland Color System to solve this issue.
Example video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-1F4d7I9w

This is a built in colour library in VersaWorks. The way it works is this...

1. Print out a colour chart from VersaWorks (found in the Media menu) and pick the colour which you think looks best. This should be printed on the media you intend to use (becasue some are whiter than others).
  2. Use the 'Roland Color System Library' swatch palette which is built in to Corel Draw X5 to add the colour to the artwork. You can find this through Window menu > Dockers > Colour Palette manager.
  3. Add the job to your VersaWorks queue and go to the job settings.
  4. Verify tht your chosed Roland Color System colour has been picked up by VersaWorks in the File Format section and ensure that Convert Spot Colors is checked (this can be set as a default for each queue).
  5. Print your job. The colour you added to your artwork will come out exactly as it did on the colour chart.

You can also print idividual pages or strips of colour 'chips' to give to customer's or designers so that they can match the colours for you and sign off on them before the job reaches the printer.
Tom King
Technical Support Advisor
Roland DG UK Ltd
www.rolanddg.co.uk
Tom King
Silver Member

National Flag:
Great Britain

Postby ScotGold » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:38 am

Many thanks for the advise Tom,
I shall print off your posting and work through the steps.
A bit of time spent understanding and managing the colours would, I am sure save a lot of time and frustration in the long-term.
Chris
www.scotgold.com
ScotGold

Postby Marc Busby » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi Chris,

Doing as Tom has suggested will certainly help.

However please be aware that using Roland EcoSol Max Profiles with Colorific Elite inks will result in incorrect colours. The colour of the inks themselfs will differ, for example, if we try and produce a red, the EcoSol Max profile might tell the printer to use 95% Magenta and 90% Yellow. Where as to produce the same red using Colourific inks might require 98% Magenta and 80% yellow. I haven't worked those figures out but it should give you the general idea. For best results you need to use Colourific profiles to get the best colours.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Marc Busby
Service Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Marc Busby

National Flag:
Great Britain

Postby Kai Perry » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:34 pm

With Corel 11 it could be that you have the colour management turned off, this would show you a different colour on screen to that which you have printed, try setting this to off to get a better representation of colour output.
Kai Perry
Technical Support Supervisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Kai Perry

National Flag:
Great Britain

Postby atta101 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:23 am

Hi,

Could anybody help?

I'd like to print in VersaWorks the Color chart under the Media menu, but there is a message when I click Color chart Type-1 or anything else.

"Stopped processing the input file "C:\Program files\Roland VersaWorks\.........\Job-A\_1\."
The File is corrupted."

any idea?

Thanks

Attila
atta101

Postby Kai Perry » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:22 am

Hi Attila,

It sounds like a file has corrupted the program, take not of the printers IP address or connection method, then any settings that you have in the queues.

Next go to Start, All Programs, Roland VersaWorks and Initialise Application.

This will initalise the queues and should allow you to generate the colour charts.

If this doesn't work you will have to unistall and reinstall VersaWorks.
Kai Perry
Technical Support Supervisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Kai Perry

National Flag:
Great Britain

Return to Sign-Making and Graphics Production