Roland UV LEF12

Ask any questions you have before you make a decision
Themaverick

Roland UV LEF12

Post by Themaverick » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi guys,

I am looking at printing my own phone cases along with a few other bits, but phone cases being the primary.

I have done some research via google and looked at various threads on here and other forums.

I'm starting from scratch on this and know nothing about the print world.

If I chose the Rolan UV LEF-12 at 20k would i be paying for a printer that is too good and too expensive for printing just phone cases - is it simply a waste of a great printer?

My initial thoughts are to just go with a sublimation printer and swing press as a way to test the market.

I have also looked at

http://sublideck.com/sublideck4.html
http://www.brotherjet.com/1900_flatbed_printer.html
http://www.copytrax.com/Copytrax%20Dali.pdf

What can the Roland UV LEF-12 do that the above can't? What are the advantages?

Thanks The Mav

p.s i know it will take a lot of phonecase sales to make up the 20k :)

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Roland UV LEF12

Post by mrtn » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:00 pm

The other ones seem pretty specific whereas LEF-12 is universal. There's no point of planning it just for phone cases as it's able to print on anything that fits in the area. The additional feature is the UV-varnish and embossing.

Here the text is more than 600 microns high (note the shadow):

The machine is very durable and there are no hidden costs involved. The ink consumtion is virtually non-issue. I printed 100 pcs OLFA touch knives like this and the ink cost for the whole print run was €0.09.

Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Themaverick

Post by Themaverick » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi Martin thanks for those visual examples they are a big help.

So I could do raised graphics?

How would I get training on the capabilities of the printer if i was to buy one?

Dennis Poole
Administrator

Post by Dennis Poole » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi Themaverick,

I would recommend going to a Roland dealer for a demo on the machine. They will be able to run through a wide range of applications for the machine and show you how to do the embossing and gloss. Roland also have an Intermediate Digital Print course which takes you through the VersaWorks RIP software (free with all Roland printers). Although this course does not cover things like embossing, if you speak to the trainer Joe (who is also on the forum), he will be able to help you.

Likewise the Roland support team are always there to help.

Kind Regards
Dennis
Dennis Poole
Managing Director
RDR Global Limited

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Themaverick wrote:So I could do raised graphics?
You just tick a button in Roland VersaWorks that you want embossing and the rest is fully automatic.

You may get a deal with full software training at your nearest Roland dealer. We always do that to get the customer running at full speed the same day.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Chris Martin

Post by Chris Martin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:35 pm

The LEF-12 can certainly do all the things you've listed. I'd agree with Dennis that it might be worth going to see a demo first. That way you can see it in action and maybe even test your own products (we usually offer this).

If you were to get one, on installation most dealers will offer training. We certainly go through the kind of things people need to use on a daily basis in order to print what they need.

If you've got any specific qs or if we can help out with a demo etc, more than happy to help!

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Martin
Sales Manager at printMAX
Roland's most successful authorised dealer 2010/2011/2012
http://www.printmax.co.uk
Follow me: @marto86
Follow us: @printMAXuk

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:39 am

Hi Themaverick

Just wondering if you have been to see the LEF-12 yet and what your thoughts were? Did the machine do what you were looking for it to do?

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski

marschan

Post by marschan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:03 pm

I think the roalnd uv lef12 is too expensive, it cost more than 35000usd, LEF-12 prints on objects up to 12” x 11” x 3.94” in size. Resolution ranges from 360 to 1440dpi, Equipped with long-life LED UV-curing lamps, the LEF-12 requires no warm-up time, making it efficient to use and cool to the touch. Because the integrated UV-LED lamps instantly cure ink during printing, it can print directly onto materials such as PET, ABS, PVC, polycarbonate, PS and other plastics, as well as leather, papers and card stocks. 6 colors (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, White and Clear), 220 ml cartridge, The ink from japan, ink cost around 400usd echo litre. The machine cost around 35000$.

I would like to recommend another small uv flatbed printer, which have break through in technology in terms of sizes, cost and durability, more and more ordinaries can own it to bloom their business.

BrotherJet launched the smallest A3 desktop UV LED printer with the advanced DTS-U2 pigment uv led curing inks which is refillable with CISS ink systems in lowest production cost. Utilizing the BrotherJet RIP and optional ArtisRIP, you can print the dark world by opaque white ink and vibrant, full color images. Omnipotent UV led ink offers unlimited printing possibilities of varietal materials covering from:Metal, wood, plastic, acrylic, ABS, bamboo, aluminum, ceramic tiles, glass and to more and more. Equipped with EPSON printer head DX5 ,the BR UV direct printing system realize the real photo printing quality with 2880*1440DPI.

You can look at: http://www.brotherjet.com/a3_uv_led_fla ... inter.html

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:49 pm

There are plenty of Chinese printers on the market, Brotherjet should not be an exception among them. Choosing one for your main tool follows the general rule: if you can afford a quality printer, buy a Roland. If not, make some money and then buy a Roland. There is so much more to owning a printer than just the base price. I'm a bit worried about your suggestion for printing on t-shirts. Inkjet UV ink should never be used for printing on wearable clothing due to incomplete curing related allergic reactions.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

gras006

Post by gras006 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:53 am

I wan't a small bussiness for phone case printing, i found the roland and mimaki small machine, but the price is too difficult to accept, the ink is cost 300usd ech Litter, So i was look for a flatbed printer to expand my business at the year 2012, and contacted with Brotherjet. They soonest send samples under my requirement, I think it’s better to see the real printing quality firstly. When I received the samples, it’s really excellent. So I decided to buy BR1900, at May of year 2012. But the white ink printing is a little bit troublesome and too easy to cause head clog. And they do not provide white eco solvent ink. So, now, I am planning to buy their new BR-U1800 small UV printer, which is good at white ink printing. Of cause, I hope to sell my own BR1900 firstly.