VersaUV LEF-20 price questions?

Ask any questions you have before you make a decision
TimothyClaypole

VersaUV LEF-20 price questions?

Post by TimothyClaypole » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:35 pm

I am asking on here as I've had no reply in over a week from a supplier I contacted, must not need the business. :)

What sort of price are these, I've seen somewhere 12k for the 12 and 20K for the 20?

Seems a bit weird these days to not be able to get a price for something - "Call for pricing" thought that went out with the old computer magazines.

What sort of coverage do the cartridges give, for example to print a brick/slate/tile pattern on an A4 sheet of MDF.

How much are the cartridges.

I'm trying to sort some ideas and prices in my head as to whether it would be worth buying one but it's a bit hard with so little information out there for what having seen the Roland videos is a printer I would sell body parts to own. :oops:

I have found a news article about a company a few miles away who bought one so could maybe contact them to get some samples printed which obviously I would pay the going rate for.

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Re: VersaUV LEF-20 price questions?

Post by Joe Wigzell » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Hiya!

Somebody is on the case with getting back to you from here at Roland :D

As for prices, all RRP prices are on our website at www.rolanddg.co.uk dealers will sometimes have their own offers etc hence why they sometimes want you to make contact. you were more or less right though... 12.5k and 20k roughly for the 2 models!

Ink cartridges are £55 for 220cc. Printing onto any substrate will be the same ink cost, unless you add a white base or gloss details etc.

If you get stuck give me a shout and I can go through some detailed costings for you!

Cheers
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

TimothyClaypole

Post by TimothyClaypole » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Thank you for the reply Joe, helpful to know for now.

Still no reply from the company, then they'll be moaning business is tough, no orders etc... ;)

The ink price was as it would be handy to know the average coverage from a set, ie. a set of inks costs X and will print Y number of pages of A4 in say three colours so each page would cost Z to print.

I would take that it's like inkjet and laser cartridges that say they will do so many pages at a certain percentage coverage.

For example the phone covers shown in the demos, how many sets of those would it do?

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:45 am

Hi Tim,
Here is a basic overview of costings for you:

The phone sets shown in the demo (x17 iPhone 5-full colour CMYK, 5-6 minutes print time) uses 1.41cc ink.
Cartridges hold 220cc ink and cost £55.
55 / 220 = 0.25. £0.25 pence per cc.
0.25 x 1.41 = 0.35...or £0.35 pence of ink per x17 set or 2 pence per case!

The LEF holds CMYK, White and Gloss ink so 6 cartridges. If you were just printing CMYK as above that's 4 x 220cc = 880cc.
880cc / 1.41 = 624 full bed prints.
624 x 17 = 10,610 phone cases per ink set.

Hope that helps? (and hopefully I haven't messed up my maths anywhere in there :? )

If you would like more info or further costings etc (maybe specific to your output) then get in touch, likewise if you want one of our Business Managers to get in touch PM me your info and I will make it happen :D
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:02 am

Hi again,
Just wanted to check...an email was sent to you, did you receive it??
Joe Wigzell
Roland DG UK Ltd

TimothyClaypole

Post by TimothyClaypole » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Not so far?

rolanduser

Post by rolanduser » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi everyone,
i own the LEF-12 model for at least 18mths now. A question was raised as per the ink cost per print...I am surprised that no one talks about the ink the machine itself uses and spoils for its automated cleaning and maintenance function. And I specifically refer to white and gloss cartridges which contain a less fluid liquid/ink which requires the machine to do the automated recirculating/flushing inside the pumps so that the liquid does not become solid inside the system.
Without exaggerating, the machine spoils at least or more than half the Cartridge for its own maintenance use when it comes to white or gloss! It has really become an exhasperation for me to find out how those two cartridges run out at the end of 3-4 weeks, while the Printing jobs are hardly using the cc's being flushed inside the waste botttle of the machine.
I really am surprised that Roland did not get this right!
Not to mention that the cap Top is too be replaced after 18 mths of use (not even being used on daily basis).
Is there a chance to find out why these two consumables are so different compared to CMYK colours thus the machine being expensive to run?
Perhaps Roland can give us an answer...

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:29 pm

rolanduser wrote:Hi everyone,
i own the LEF-12 model for at least 18mths now. A question was raised as per the ink cost per print...I am surprised that no one talks about the ink the machine itself uses and spoils for its automated cleaning and maintenance function. And I specifically refer to white and gloss cartridges which contain a less fluid liquid/ink which requires the machine to do the automated recirculating/flushing inside the pumps so that the liquid does not become solid inside the system.
This is a feature/requirement for all UV printers not just the LEF-series or Roland. All UV-printers require special care for white ink system. In Roland's case this is automated, in big industrial machines this is manual work and requires ink discharge. In big machines the discharge amount is somewhat smaller because the ink can be circulated through the head and there's no damper to purge.
Without exaggerating, the machine spoils at least or more than half the Cartridge for its own maintenance use when it comes to white or gloss! It has really become an exhasperation for me to find out how those two cartridges run out at the end of 3-4 weeks, while the Printing jobs are hardly using the cc's being flushed inside the waste botttle of the machine.
I really am surprised that Roland did not get this right!
Again, this is not a thing that can be "gotten right". You need to adjust your white usage pattern to the maintenance pattern to minimize ink waste. For example, if you print one white job every day then you'll lose 9 cc of ink before every job because of circulation and discharge. This is due to the fact that the ink needs to be circulated and dischaged before printing if the time interval between jobs is more than 8 hours. So, if you only print one job per day you'll have to add the whole amount of discharged ink to the cost of your print. If you print 10 or 20 white jobs a day you'll divide the discharged ink by 10 or 20 which is then not expensive at all. This is also the case with solvent machines using white and/or metallic ink. The heavy pigment needs refreshing, plain physics.

If you've ever seen an industrial solvent printer then you might know it also loses significant amount of ink while idle/off and not printing. The heads fire some ink every few seconds to renew the ink inside the heads and prevent clogging.
Not to mention that the cap Top is too be replaced after 18 mths of use (not even being used on daily basis).
Is there a chance to find out why these two consumables are so different compared to CMYK colours thus the machine being expensive to run?
Perhaps Roland can give us an answer...
Cap tops nominal lifetime is 12 months anyway. On CMYK solvent printer you can stretch is to two years if you operate it in dustless environment and use the machine daily. After that good cleaning function and vacuum power can not be guaranteed. The rubber itself compresses and the filter in the middle clogs due to dust, ink pigments (especially heavy in white) and in UV case the occasional radiation reflection.

So, if you adjust your usage pattern to the knowledge you just acquired, you'll find it much cheaper to run.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

rolanduser

Post by rolanduser » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi Martin,
I'd like to thank you for your reply and thorough analysis. It is a great machine that can achieve impressive work indeed but I sometimes i wish sale process was more honest from the start.
I dont know how much white ink is a heavy pigment in General or compared to CMYK colours and my comments were similar with regards to gloss liquid Cartridge so that makes two cartridges with a completely different usage pattern compared to CMYK colours. (and it unfortunately does make a difference as per the cost / print which is not being stated clearly to prospective buyers)
I do agree with you though that when regrouping work or being able to undertake large orders only, wasted ink can be limited.

TimothyClaypole

Post by TimothyClaypole » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:34 pm

Helpful to know, many thanks.

Now if someone will just tell me where I can buy one and the price so I can save my pennies...