Roland TS-400 - Help - drivers/software

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
Bloodtype

Roland TS-400 - Help - drivers/software

Post by Bloodtype » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi All,
I've recently inherited a Roland/Techsoft TS-400 CNC Engraver but it has no software with it. I contacted Roland who put me in touch with Techsoft but they may not be able to supply the drivers/software. Does anyone have or can put me in touch with someone who can supply me with the drivers & software?
These are the bits that would be on the disk if I had it:
- VPanel
- Modela Player
- Dr.Engrave
- 3d Engrave
- Virtual Moderla
- Windows Driver

Main thing I need is the Windows driver! For Windows XP ideally.

Any help gratefully received!!!
Cheers
Ben

Kai Perry

Re: Roland TS-400 - Help - drivers/software

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:16 am

Hi Ben,

Give our RolandCare team a call on 01275 335540, they can send you the driver.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Mistabee

Post by Mistabee » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Hi Ben,
Did you have any joy from the RolandCare team? I work at a school in Worcs as a computer science teacher and have recently taken on a systems control in engineering course which requires students to be able to create their own pcbs. We have a Techsoft TS-400 in our tech block without a manual or software that no-one knows how to use. So I'm on the hunt for manual / driver / software but also hoping to find out if it can be used to create simple single layer pcbs or not so as to rule it out quickly and find another solution if not.

Any help gratefully received

Dave

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:08 am

As per the previous advice, the RolandCare team can send you both the manual and driver. You can contact them either by calling on 01275 335540 or email at techsupport@rolanddg.co.uk
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Allan S.

Post by Allan S. » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi,
I would like to automate the datum setting up on my TS-400. At one time, Techsoft used to sell a z-axis datum setting sensor, although it was rather pricey. I've seen the same type of sensor elsewhere quite inexpensively and I suspect it would work just as well as long as it's connected correctly. Can anybody advise me one way or another?

paolo8453
Silver Member

Post by paolo8453 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:06 pm

It's just a brass/metal puck with a known depth that earths when the endmill touches it...

From memory - it's an ordinary everyday 3.5mm jack.

I'll see if I have any photos.

messaged you a photo but seems to be stuck in my outbox...
Hardware: TS-400 which seems to be the same as an EGX-400/600...

Allan S.

Post by Allan S. » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:26 am

Thanks Paolo, I'm grateful for this info.
So it would appear that I don't need to use the Roland version of this datum setting device. I am guessing that the cutter contacting the device simply causes a short circuit across the jack plug contacts. If you have any wiring data on this to confirm my suspicion I would be very grateful.....I'd hate to short it out and cause costly damage to the control board. I'm sure that I saw somewhere in the V Panel settings that I simply need to input the thickness of the device so that the software knows that it has to lower the cutter 'that' amount down before contacting the material to be machined.
I'm finding the TS-400 to be a great machine for light CNC routing and engraving. 'Superseded but not redundant....'
Regards,
Allan S.

paolo8453
Silver Member

Post by paolo8453 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:02 am

I'm sure the wiring for the brass puck is in the manual. It's just shorting the circuit - you'll not blow anything.

Measure the depth of your puck with a micrometer and input that in Vpanel. I think it was 15mm as default?

I guess you never received the last private message - it seems to be stuck in my outbox?

I'll try again...
Hardware: TS-400 which seems to be the same as an EGX-400/600...

Allan S.

Post by Allan S. » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:50 pm

Many thanks Paolo. As I’m sure you’re aware, I’ve been a bit anxious about trying this out. I’m a bit more confident now so I’ll go ahead and order the sensor and jack plug.
Thanks again.
Regards, Allan

Allan S.

Post by Allan S. » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi again Paolo,
I ordered the z-axis sensor...under £4 on eBay for a basic version that's intended for Mach3 CNC users. It's 20mm thick and has an aluminium touch plate. OK, not as good as the brass one supplied by Roland, but £4.... I soldered the connecting lead to a mini jack plug (tip connector), set the 20mm thickness in V Panel and tried it out. It works!!
I've 3-D printed a holder for it so it's now connected to the TS-400 but safely out of the way, hung on the inside of the enclosure.
I'm now on a mission to get the machine to do 2.5D machining, but I'm afraid my budget isn't going to stretch to Vectric software. There must be a way, if I can only track it down. I'm wondering if there's any suitable open-source software that I can run on my Linux PC.

Regards,
Allan