Altitude limit for LEF-300

Warranties, repairs and maintenance
spyromike

Altitude limit for LEF-300

Post by spyromike » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Today will be my 4th warranty service call visit in the past 6 months. The common problem has been white ink issues - they have replaced the white print head 2 times, and now the gloss head will be replaced today. They've also replaced dampers, captops, drain pump and motor, and various tubes / lines.

I've had this machine since February, and it is a never-ending cycle of issues - mostly with white ink (and recently with gloss).

I follow all of the best practices - shake white cartridge daily, print white ink at least once a day to keep white ink flowing, weekly maintenance cleaning, etc.

I'm wondering if my elevation is a factor. I'm at 7841 feet (2390 meters). Is the low air pressure affecting the printer? Does anyone else use an LEF at similar altitude without issue?

Kai Perry

Re: Altitude limit for LEF-300

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:21 am

I haven't seen anyone else use their machine at height previously, or haven't heard of any issues, where are you?

Are the inks in date and are they stored in the same room as the printer, what is environment like in the room with the machine?
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

spyromike

Post by spyromike » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm in Colorado. We had the humidity set at 35%. The Roland engineer yesterday told us we should have it at 45-50%. I wonder if the higher elevation (lower air pressure) makes the machine more sensitive to lower humidity levels. Our install tech and follow-up warranty techs told us 15% was fine (but they often are not fully trained).

All inks are in date. We are now at 47%, and I bought an additional humidifier to help keep the humidity stable and more consistent when the environment may change. The room temperature varies from 66 to 72 degrees F. Aside from a slight gloss alignment issue, all is well after yesterday's service call. The gloss head and damper were replaced.

spyromike

Post by spyromike » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:35 pm

We store the inks inside the BOFA storage cabinet, out of direct light and sealed in original plastic.