EGX300 Problem with Cutting Depth

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
Ferris9999

EGX300 Problem with Cutting Depth

Post by Ferris9999 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:10 pm

I have an EGX300 using V-Carve on Windows 7.
I use it for engraving/cutting plastic 1.5mm (60 thou) thick. It has been cutting perfect for years but all of a sudden it has started cutting erratically eg, I'll programme it to do a pocket cut at 0.3mm and it will cut right through the 1.5mm material and into the base mat.
Does anyone know why it would suddenly start doing this and is there any way to fix it such as resetting the machine back to factory defaults?
I've checked all of the settings, material thickness and cutting depth and everything looks okay, but it just randomly cuts straight through the material for no apparent reason?
Thanks for any help

Kai Perry

Re: EGX300 Problem with Cutting Depth

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:31 am

Strange, it sounds like a software issue rather than a hardware one. Try testing it with Dr. Engrave instead of Vcarve.

You can perfom a user initialise by holding the enter key and turning on the power.

Also try a different cable and if possible a different PC.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Ferris9999

Post by Ferris9999 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:54 am

Thanks, I'll try that, I just can't figure out why it's suddenly started doing it.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:11 am

Possible some sort of software update, if the software or PC turns out to be the issue.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

Ferris9999

Post by Ferris9999 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:54 pm

I've done some software updates on the computer and attached a new cable, but it still seems to be cutting ok for a while then suddenly trips out and cuts right down through the material in into the cutting mat.
I've noticed also that it's started displaying an error message sometimes when I switch it on. Usually when I switch it on it asks to press the "enter" key then the spindle etc initialises then parks in the top left of the cutting mat. But sometimes I get an error and is displays that it can't find the depth. I have to switch it off and back on again to clear this.

Ferris9999

Post by Ferris9999 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:02 pm

Correction, the error message reads: OPERATING ERROR CAN'T FIND LIMIT

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:48 am

Remove the tool and clean the limit switches, normally the error occurs because there is swarf covering the sensor and the machine then goes further than it should have done.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

Ferris9999

Post by Ferris9999 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:16 am

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick! However I now seem to have developed another problem, which I'm hoping is a simple fix.
In my attempts to resolve the previous issue I did a factory reset by holding the enter key down when switching the machine on.
Now when I switch the machine on and it prompts you to press the enter key, if the tool head/motor carriage is in the home position, it does it's usual initialisation then parks in the top left of the cutting area, however when it moves from the home position to the top left, the black motor cover has started catching one of the cover support pins that stick out on the left? I'm not entirely sure why, is there any way to adjust the limit on the left to avoid this happening?