Hello! MDX540 FE:18 error.

Come in and introduce yourself
Tom Reynolds

Hello! MDX540 FE:18 error.

Post by Tom Reynolds » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:29 pm

Hello!

I am using an MDX540 and it is my first experience with CNC machining. May I say how intuitive and user friendly it is.

Problem: I have an issue whereby the automatic tool will not release.

Cause: There was an overload on the spindle whilst cutting aluminium (12.5mm 6082).

What I’m able to do is raise the spindle by holding Z and going clockwise on the hand dial, but when I press CLEAR to release, the tool will not drop out and error code FE:18 is shown.

Solution: I hope there is one!

It may be a case of low pressure (which I doubt) or may require a new sensor (in which case where can I buy/have fixed)? However, if there is any experienced users who could help me then that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, a recommended manufacturer of cutters for Aluminium would be appreciated too!

Many thanks,

Tom.

Kai Perry

Re: Hello! MDX540 FE:18 error.

Post by Kai Perry » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:25 am

It basically means that a tool holder isn't being released, follow the instructions from the manual for the ATC -

How to Correct the Problem If It Occurs
If the tool holder does not come loose, an error occurs and cutting is interrupted. If this happens, follow the procedure below to recover.

1. Shut down the modeling machine.
2. Start the modeling machine and try performing a forced release of the tool.

☞ P. 50, "3-1 Starting and Quitting"

3. If the tool does not come loose, lightly tap the front of the spindle unit using a plastic hammer or wooden mallet.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Tom Reynolds

Re: Hello! MDX540 FE:18 error.

Post by Tom Reynolds » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi Kai,

Many thanks for your response.

The tool did require a slight tap to release, so a bit of relief when the tool dropped free.

There does appear to be some slight abrasion on the taper of the tool, it could be that the machine requires the correct level of lubrication.

I will certainly remember for next time.

Thank you again.

Tom.