Charity needing help with SG-300 error code 0400

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
EccenticSupportman

Charity needing help with SG-300 error code 0400

Post by EccenticSupportman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:49 am

Hi everyone, I represent a charity and I'm looking for some advice please on our Roland TrueVis SG-300 which has developed an issue.

I'm trying to debug it as it appears we are out of warranty.

The background......

What reportedly happened before I joined the charity, was one day they had to clear a big paper jam. During that they noticed one of the media guides had been dislodged by the print and cutting carriage. They cleaned it up, and since then it has been very temper-mental. As in it doesn't work 90% of the time.
On switching on at the front control panel the only option we get is to begin maintenance.
We press enter, and it appears to go into a cleaning cycle (with the timer counting down on the display). During that time the carriage is moving back and fore on the right-hand side, no weird or worrying noises.
The carriage gets as far as in the attached photo. (I don't know if it is supposed to get further to the left during this cycle). Then the cycle finishes, some final clicks are heard from the area of the ink cartridges, and we get this error and get stuck:

Service Call 0400 [0008]

My diagnosis so far.....

- There is no media jam left anywhere I can see.

- I think that the 0008 is a previous error, indicating an overcurrent "little load is put on the motor movement for a long time"

- 0400 seems to indicate the motor has been subjected to another overcurrent with a big load on motor movement "instantaneously"

- The thing is the carriage is moving back and fore in the cleaning cycle apparently fine. And if we "accidentally" move the carriage all the way over to the left before we power it on, then on power on it diligently moves across all the way to the right immediately. If the motor or servo board was broken, I would be surprised if it moved at all.

- The Firmware is a little out of date (1.70 according to the VersaWorks software, I saw 2.60 on the EU download site)

- The toothed-belt used to move the carriage looked a little loose. When I pushed the carriage to the left and back, the surface of the belt seemed to rise up and lower at the edge of the belt nearest me.

My assumptions....

My current thinking is the belt is either misaligned (riding up against a flange on the left hand 'guide' wheel), not tight enough, or has been misshaped or warped over time. Guessing it being one of those options is causing the motor to hit a high-current alarm. And the nature of this may perhaps explain the 10% of the time it actually works.

I'm trying to use the alignment adjustments on the left-side belt wheel to make it tighter (my first "what if" guess of making it looser got a 0103 error...), or seeing if the wheel itself is at a slight angle (basically the horizontal and vertical screws in the other attached image). I think next I will make it a lot looser so I can try and reposition the belt centrally on the guide wheel before tightening it again.

My request.....

So I'd like to hear opinions please, if this is a sensible strategy, and if anyone else has experienced the same situation and how it was resolved.

(And if you needed to source parts, please include details too)

Thanks everyone, may you have a great day.
Attachments
Carriage1.jpg
Wheelalignment.jpg

Kai Perry

Re: Charity needing help with SG-300 error code 0400

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:00 pm

The 0400 0008 error is not related to the motor, it is related to the print heads not sealing correectly, possibly due to damage from the head strike.

In your case it relates to the second head and the black channel.

Check the capping position of this head and look for any damage to the surround of the print head.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

EccenticSupportman

Post by EccenticSupportman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Excellent thanks Kai, I'll be in the charity tomorrow so will see what I can see ....

EccenticSupportman

Post by EccenticSupportman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:50 pm

(Disclaimer – I’m relatively new to Roland devices so I might not get all the part names right..)

So, what I presume is a metal protector that goes onto the black / cyan print head was slightly bent. So much it was not latching onto to all the plastic ‘hooks’ of the head, and it was actually sliding down off the head at the back too much when (gently) prodded.

I carefully took the metal protector off and, after cleaning any gunk off as per the swabs and cleaning solution, methodically bent it back into shape so it now actually latches on properly to the head.

No change to the error code afterwards.

I spent time with a small torch looking around the caps. There is something a little odd about the black / cyan cap. Unable to photograph so see artist’s exaggerated impression attached.

The raised ridge seems bent outwards on the left cap. Wondering if that is preventing a good seal?

Thanks and regards
Attachments
Capquery.png
Capquery.png (7.76 KiB) Viewed 1050 times

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:25 pm

That would enough to cause the error as air will escape when capping.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

EccenticSupportman

Post by EccenticSupportman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Sounds promising, thanks Kai! Could I ask another favour - I’m trying to find the right part number for ordering a replacement cap-top - my searches thus far keep getting only the (ROL030)1000004546 ( perhaps also known as 1000002794 or DX4...) but that looks to be for other VS or SP etc Roland models, not the TrueVis SG-300

By any chance do you have the correct part number to hand?

I could try and clean the cap-top and see if I can gently move the ridge back … but I’m not sure if the ridge is either bent or separating away from the cap-top...

EccenticSupportman

Post by EccenticSupportman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:12 pm

Just an update…

With help from Roland Support we identified that the replacement cap-top part number is 6000002332.

On looking at the ridge, I also noticed it has about 6 tiny plastic tabs that are supposed to hold the central pad down. On the yellow cap-top these are all visibly doing their job. On the current black/cyan cap-top only the 3 right side are holding the pad down, the three on the left are not, due to the ridge bending outwards slightly. Sure that is not helping either. Manual attempts to coax the ridge to move back to where it was supposed to be have not worked.

When we get that part in I will fit it, and if it works I’ll post a final update here for any future interested party.

Thanks Kai for your help, much appreciated!

EccenticSupportman

Post by EccenticSupportman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:31 am

Hi everyone,

With a fresh perspective, and adequate time and patience, I had a proper look.

An admission - my error, I just removed the carriage cover and discovered the yellow head is also the black head, I assumed incorrectly earlier.

I've spent an entire day looking at this in detail. Some intriguing findings:

- Each damper has a moveable plastic 'arm' to their side. These rest against the clear side of the dampers.

- The black damper swells slightly outwards to the right, and in doing so it moves the little plastic arm.

- When the arm is moved aside by the black damper swelling outwards, the end of the plastic arm is no longer in the correct position for the F4 sensor to be 'activated'. (Identified by trial and error in the sensor check function of the Service menu)
I assume there is a light and light sensor combo, so when the arm end is in the "damper not swelled" position, the light does not get to the sensor which equals "Ok".

- When it is like this, if the printer is switched off and on again, after the maintenance cycle, it comes up with the 0400 [0008] error.

- In this case, if I turn it off, remove the cleaning rail, move the carriage over to the left, put some paper towel down under the heads, and press the plastic arm in against the black damper, it ejects the ink in the damper down into the towel. (not through the head directly but from under the metal protective-surround of the head). After long enough the end of the plastic arm is now back to a normal position for F4, as the damper is no longer swelled sideways.

- And after that when the printer is switched on, the maintenance cycle completes, and Magenta, Cyan, Yellow printing all seems to work fine - no error code.

- I've then seen, on the test pattern print, some small black output. (I've even seen very small black nozzle-sized drops coming out of the 'face' of the head on inspection once). Doing a normal clean from the cleaning menu makes little difference. I did a Medium clean and on the next test print much more black output appeared in the nozzle-check pattern.

- However with further test pattern prints the black output degrades quickly, to only two nozzle output marks or none. And I can again see the damper begin to swell outwards, and the sensor arm move sideways, away from the F4 sensor. And then the next time the printer is switched off and on, it will give the 0400 [0008] error until I switch off, move it to the side.... and so on.

I'm almost wondering now if there is some air lock. I've seen mention on forums about the disposal pump on this type of device being designed to pump ink and not air, and I wonder if there is a blockage from the captop to the pump. But then why does yellow work....

What is also slightly bizarre ... is despite having a pretty-full black cartridge installed (as in it looks full and feels full when compared with another full cartridge), the printer is saying it is nearly empty.

For all I know, it's some sort of ink starvation issue, maybe an air lock in the tubing from the cartridge to the damper, air in the damper, or some sort of problem just getting ink from the cartridge.

Opinions welcomed!

Thanks and regards

EccenticSupportman

Post by EccenticSupportman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:08 pm

Time for an update:

- Replacement captop fitted. Did a few medium cleans, no difference

- We've got a replacement damper now, and I'm prepping to replace it... trying to get the info first on how to do it...

And that's where I need to confirm some facts please. After trawling forums, I see mention of using the Pump Up option before doing various things surrounding the damper / head / tubing, and I also see mixed opinions on what pump up actually does.

For the SG300, will selecting pump-up just empty the machine of ink (i.e. what's in the tubes and all dampers and dump the ink into the waste bottle), or does it also dump the ink in the cartridges too? Sorry probably a silly question, but I see examples of "I hit pump up, cartridges now empty" cropping up here and there.
Perhaps it will tell me to remove the cartridges first when I select pump up? Or do I do that before?

I presume the damper replacement process is:
- somehow get the ink out of the damper (pump up), power-off, and then move the head across to the cleaning side.
- on the clear plastic above the dampers, detach the clips that hold the ribbon cables down, unscrew the plastic bar
- carefully detach the cables from the heads, allowing me to remove the clear plastic to give me room.
- quickly detach the tubes that fill up the damper and either clamp / tape the ends / put the ends in tubs or something to stop leftover ink going everywhere
- unclip the plastic clips from the rear and front of the damper that hold it down onto the head, and remove damper
- check state of the now-exposed top of the head. Look for solid lumps etc that can block ink, maybe consider using cleaning fluid to break them down.
- fit new damper.
- re-attach everything
- on power on, select the Fill Ink option.
- give it a go!

Sound ok?

Thanks!

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:11 am

I haven't replaced a damper personally, someone else may be able to assist with that part.

The pump up will remove all ink in the system, it will ask you to remove the cartridges in the process, any ink in the system will be taken to the drain bottle, the machine will then turn off and on power on, it will prompt for you to put the ink back in.

The pump up process is usually only for moving the machine in a short space of time.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd