CX-24 Connection via USB to serial converter

Need advice on using your Roland Hardware.
Please note we do not give engineering advice in this group
paul2k1uk

CX-24 Connection via USB to serial converter

Post by paul2k1uk » Wed May 16, 2012 9:15 am

Hello peeps,

Is it possible to connect a CX-24 from its serial port to a usb connection on a pc. We have a usb serial converter.

I spent a whole day trying to install the cutter on a windows vista laptop without success

I downloaded the vista drivers from the website. which has the installer.
First i plugged in the USB to serial converter and installed its drivers. It showed that it was installed in the device manager under port 2
I then installed the rolland cx24 drivers via the setup. It installed fine in the printers section? i selected port 2 serial when installing the drivers for cutter.

I then try to use a cutting software to get it working but nothing happens, either fails or get stuck on spool.

I tried connection via parallel and it works perfect. but i need to try get it working on the laptop but don't have a parallel/serial connection, only usb

Thanks for any help
Paul

Rob Goleniowski

Re: CX-24 Connection via USB to serial converter

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Wed May 16, 2012 10:51 am

You may have already seen this post, but a similar conversation has been going on about USB to parallel

Hope this is helpful but if you get no success then please let us know.

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Wed May 16, 2012 11:18 am

Hi Paul,

This could be down to the type of serial cable you are using, normally to connect the machine via serial to serial you would use a serial crossover cable, the way to test this would be on the other PC, just try with the serial cable direct.

If this doesn't work then you would need to purchase a crossover serial cable.
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

paul2k1uk

Post by paul2k1uk » Wed May 16, 2012 11:43 am

Kai Perry wrote:Hi Paul,

This could be down to the type of serial cable you are using, normally to connect the machine via serial to serial you would use a serial crossover cable, the way to test this would be on the other PC, just try with the serial cable direct.

If this doesn't work then you would need to purchase a crossover serial cable.
Hi Kai,

On the laptop required to do the cutting, it dont have any serial ports. only usb as a connection method. We have a USB to serial converter as a only method of connection.

But i have tried it on a different machine, a older one, which has serial and parallel connections. seeing as i only have a parallel cable to hand i can confirm that it works fine. but i think it only worked when i installed two drivers CM-24. running windows xp

The laptop required would be running windows vista

Many thanks
Paul

Tom King
Silver Member

Post by Tom King » Wed May 16, 2012 1:14 pm

If it is a single cable with serial on one end and usb on the other (rather than a serial cable plugged into a small adaptor box) then it will almost certainly NOT be the correct serial crossover (RS232c) type.

I would recommend using a parallel to usb cable as we rarely have issues with those.
Tom King
Technical Support Advisor
Roland DG UK Ltd
www.rolanddg.co.uk

paul2k1uk

Post by paul2k1uk » Wed May 16, 2012 2:40 pm

I understand. I did try it with a parallel cable to usb. but it wanted drivers and it never came with any. this serial to usb has drivers so i thought i was onto a winner at the time.

Iv attached a picture of the cable. what do you think?

Cheers
Paul
photo.JPG

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu May 17, 2012 8:31 am

That is only 1/2 of what you need, the USB to serial convertor (and its adaptor for 9 to 25pin) give you the same port as would be on the back of a PC with a serial port. You now need a Serial printer cable to connect the Serial adapter to the Cutter. This is usually known as a nul-modem cable. The cable wiring swaps various wires and is why its also sometimes called a crossover cable.

I imgine Roland sell suitable serial cables. The CX 24 runs fine using a usb converter as do all Rolands right back to the PNC1000. I have a preferance for this method over parallel as whilst it may be slower, with the correct software you can read material width from the cutter.

paul2k1uk

Post by paul2k1uk » Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 am

Ahh i think i understand now. So what your saying is....

I need to get a serial crossover cable to plug into the black adapter then into the machine? Im plugging the back bit straight into the cutter hehe

Cheers,
Paul

Tom King
Silver Member

Post by Tom King » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:51 pm

I need to get a serial crossover cable to plug into the black adapter then into the machine? Im plugging the back bit straight into the cutter hehe
Almost right. You need to get the 25 pin to 9 pin serial clrossover cable which plugs into the 9 pin connector on your blue adaptor cable and also into the machine.
Tom King
Technical Support Advisor
Roland DG UK Ltd
www.rolanddg.co.uk

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:04 am

Hi Paul,

Did you resolve this problem, if so which cables did you end up using?
Kai Perry
Application Engineer
Roland DG (UK) Ltd